Gurdeep S. Matharoo MD FACS FASMBS
- American University of the Caribbean – Cupecoy, St. Maarten, Netherlands Antilles (M.D.)
- George Mason University – Fairfax, Virginia – Bachelor of Science in Biology
- Monmouth Medical Center Long Branch, NJ – General Surgery Residency – Chief Surgical Resident
- Staten Island University Hospital – Staten Island, NY – Advanced Gastrointestinal and Minimally Invasive Surgery Fellowship
- Minimally invasive general surgery
- Bariatric surgery
- American Board of Surgery
- RWJ Barnabas Health – Monmouth Medical Center/ Community Medical Center
- Hackensack Meridian – Riverview Medical Center/ Jersey Shore University Medical Center
Academic/ Professional affiliations
- Member, Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons
- Council Member, New Jersey Chapter of American College of Surgeons
- Chairman Young Fellows Association, New Jersey Chapter of American College of Surgeons
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- Fellow, American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
Administrative positions held
- Monmouth Medical Center – Assistant Program Director – General Surgery Residency Program
- Monmouth Medical Center – Medical Student Clerkship Director – General Surgery Clerkship Rotation
- Drexel University College of Medicine – Clinical Assistant Professor – Department of Surgery
- Matharoo GS and Goldfarb MA. Treatment and outcomes of iatrogenic colon perforations at a community teaching hospital. The American Surgeon, 2012 Sep;78(9):975 – 8
- Matharoo GS, Kalia A, Phatak T, and Bhattacharyya N. Diaphragmatic rupture with gastric volvulus after Heimlich maneuver. Eur J Pediatr Surg 2013;26:502 – 504.
- Matharoo GS, Afthinos JN, Gibbs KE. Urgent laparoscopic cholecystectomy – Is there a weekend effect? Gastroenterology. 2014;146(5):s – 1034.
- Matharoo GS, Afthinos JN, Gibbs KE. Predictors of postoperative venous thromboembolism in colon and rectal surgery. Gastroenterology. 2014; 146(5):s – 1060.
- Matharoo GS, Renick E, Afthinos JN, et al. Chapter 1: Preoperative Evaluation of Bariatric Surgery Patients. In: Huang C, eds. Essentials and Controversies in Bariatric Surgery. Rijeka, Croatia: Intech; 2014: 3 – 31
- Matharoo GS, Shah SR, Binenbaum SJ, Borao FJ. Abdominal catastrophe during pregnancy due to a gastric band. CRSLS. Epub. e2014.00174.
- Matharoo GS, Afthinos JN, Gibbs KE. Trends in splenectomy: where does laparoscopy stand? JSLS. 2014 Oct – Dec;18(4).
- The David Averbach Award 2008 – 2009
- First-year surgical resident-of-the-year
- Highest Junior ABSITE Score Award 2009-2010
- Surgical resident with the highest score on the Junior ABSITE exam
- The Sills Award 2011-2012
- Surgical resident who has distinguished himself as a teacher of fellow residents and students
- Highest Senior ABSITE Score Award 2011-2012
- Surgical resident with the highest score on the Senior ABSITE exam
- Charles L. Zukaukus Award 2012-2013
- Surgical resident who has best demonstrated precision, thoroughness and meticulous attention in the care of his/her patients.
- Clinical Science – 3rd Place Award December 1, 2012
- Awarded at the New Jersey Chapter of the American College of Surgeons annual meeting for the paper “Incidence and management of bile duct leaks after cholecystectomy”
- The Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons – Resident Achievement Award